The precise date of the opening of the pub now known as The Fat Cat is not known. The first lease of the land in our possession, which covers "various premises and dwelling houses on land next to Cotton Mill Walk" was dated October 1st 1832. It covered the land now occupied by the pub and the beer garden. Perhaps there was a pub included in that description, but we do not know. What is known is that the original pub did not have a toilet block and that land as well as the beer garden contained a number of houses.