英國placement & internship & employment 經驗+咨詢

于 2005-03-10 00:36, dy10221982 写:

于 2005-03-10 00:24, diva1102 写:

我已经申请到今年的PLACEMENT了,我读的是INTERNATIONAL HOSPITALITY,我今年6月就去牛津实习一年,我的PARTIME JOB在HILTON我们学校也给予了很多帮助。其实老师推荐很重要的。

能不能分享一下你的经验呢?谢谢。。。

其实,也就是经常参加学校组织的面试活动,那里有很多机会的阿,我们班同学很多通过学校都去美国,加拿大去作PLACEMENT 阿,多问问老师的意见。

于 2005-03-21 20:42, EGC 写:

于 2005-03-21 13:12, caocqmc 写:

I will be working at its headquarter in New York City. I applied its division in HK as well, but got rejected~ well, I guess I would apply for the transfer to HK (or Shanghai) upon my graduation from my college.

HSBC is not a white-shoe bank on the wall street. It’s too big, thus, it cannot be counted as extremely prestigious, nor can be Citi or UBS.

woaa!!! u’r wicked!!!

dun jst stamp out da shiny results la… would u share some of ur exp with us ah? jst like ur edu.background and apply process etc.etc… this thread is intended to help ppl (or dummies like me) out there ma…

is that so-called singalish???

white-shoes banks is just a phrase used to refer these IBs that mostly do business only with institutional clients. on the street, people refer these banks to GS, MS, LB, etc.

CV/resume should be no more than 1 page. focus on your previous working experience. differentiate yourself from all other candidates. the key point of passing the resume scanning is to be professional looking. the more professional your resume looks like, the more chance you would be invited to the interview. As soon as you get into the interview, everything is much easier.

妈的,SUMMER INTERNSHIP

99%都只要大二的学生,我在读大一,看来,没什么机会了?

你们一般去哪找的呀?

于 2005-03-22 03:06, caocqmc 写:

white-shoes banks is just a phrase used to refer these IBs that mostly do business only with institutional clients. on the street, people refer these banks to GS, MS, LB, etc.

CV/resume should be no more than 1 page. focus on your previous working experience. differentiate yourself from all other candidates. the key point of passing the resume scanning is to be professional looking. the more professional your resume looks like, the more chance you would be invited to the interview. As soon as you get into the interview, everything is much easier.

Well, I don't think IB is the ultimate choice anyway...and it seems the North America selection process is slightly differ from the European one...

Btw,,,do u really wanna work in a IB I dont think it's that super suitable for me...The ppl there are so stressed out, dull and demotivated..... not much fun...

guys,,,think be4 u apply...go for ur interests...

于 2005-03-22 17:52, JennyMM 写:

Well, I don’t think IB is the ultimate choice anyway…and it seems the North America selection process is slightly differ from the European one…

Btw,do u really wanna work in a IB I dont think it’s that super suitable for me…The ppl there are so stressed out, dull and demotivated… not much fun…

guys,think be4 u apply…go for ur interests…

IB certainly is not a place for girls but it is perfect for man cos it is so challenging and rewarding

于 2005-03-22 17:52, JennyMM 写:

Well, I don’t think IB is the ultimate choice anyway…and it seems the North America selection process is slightly differ from the European one…

Btw,do u really wanna work in a IB I dont think it’s that super suitable for me…The ppl there are so stressed out, dull and demotivated… not much fun…

guys,think be4 u apply…go for ur interests…

A top IB firm perhaps pays the HIGHEST salary to an entry level employees among all the industry. (huge hedge funds, McKennsy might be able to pay more, but just slightly different).

Thinking about it, in NYC, then average starting salary for an IB undergraduate-level analyst is 55000 + 10000 signing bonus + moving cost (usually 3000 - 5000) + year-end bonus.

regarding the selection process, in the states, the usual way is: 1) resume scanning, 2) first-round phone interview (very broad questions), 3) second-round phone interview (little bit harder, usually two people will call you and talk with you at the same time), 4) first round internview (face-to-face, you wil be invited to their place to take it and usually very easy, just a briefly introduction of the environment of the firm, etc) ---- this round might not apply to every applicant, 5) assessment center / superday interview (this is the real hardcore. for GS, it took me a whole day. I was asked to take 3 interviews in a row and each of them are on two-to-one based, all kinds questions were asked, technique, broad sense, IQ, etc. the rate of being selected and being invited is 1:7 or 8.

I was in the apply process of ML, MS and JP morgan as well. Except the rejection from JP morgan, I withdraw my application from MS and turn back the offer from ML.

just be professional, even you are not at this stage, pretend to be! all the kids in my last day interview just look extremely professional. Armani suit, dressing shirt, tie, even the perfume as well as a professional leather-covered notebook holding in a tumi bag.... be prepared. and be extremely aware the big issues happened in the industry for the past 3 years, remember all the bond yields, interest rates, stock price index, exchange rates among all major currencies, trend for major commodities trading and of course, read the company's website as much as you can.

be perpared to take probability questions, be pertared to take bond/stock evaluation questions. also, keep some your own questions in your mind and be sure that they are not stupid! read the 10K of the firm, try to get some sense of the long-term/short term ultimate goal for the company, etc.

[ 编辑者 caocqmc 于日期 22Mar05 ]

[ 编辑者 caocqmc 于日期 22Mar05 ]

Super! Super!

Really appreciate that!

I have to say that u r sooooooo brilliant! I know it’s v tough since most of the ppl failed the final stage…AND it’s difficult to survive from the American interviewers( I heard they are much tougher than the British ones)…heehee

How can u handle the anxiety that tends to happen the night be4 assessment center…I just cant help feeling like that…god…probably I am taking it too serious…

Anyway,not to worry…

Got another one coming up tomorrow…have to get there @8:15am,AGAIN!

于 2005-03-22 01:46, xiaoheiiii 写:

于 2005-03-21 20:42, EGC 写:

于 2005-03-21 13:12, caocqmc 写:

I will be working at its headquarter in New York City. I applied its division in HK as well, but got rejected~ well, I guess I would apply for the transfer to HK (or Shanghai) upon my graduation from my college.

HSBC is not a white-shoe bank on the wall street. It’s too big, thus, it cannot be counted as extremely prestigious, nor can be Citi or UBS.

woaa!!! u’r wicked!!!

dun jst stamp out da shiny results la… would u share some of ur exp with us ah? jst like ur edu.background and apply process etc.etc… this thread is intended to help ppl (or dummies like me) out there ma…

is that so-called singalish???

Apparently it is...

…no doubt IB’s process is the toughest one…

apart from the academic record and experience, firms pay special attention to ur attitude. they will more likely to recriut a more hard working ppl rather than a one who has more good experiences.

于 2005-03-23 06:55, zocoo_zocoo 写:

apart from the academic record and experience, firms pay special attention to ur attitude. they will more likely to recriut a more hard working ppl rather than a one who has more good experiences.

i think it should be the other way round coz ppl with significant work experience in financial service industry will have strong advantage against those who don’t have. and this may increase your chance of getting selected in the first round interview

[ 编辑者 caocqmc 于日期 23Mar05 ]

于 2005-03-23 04:31, JennyMM 写:

Super! Super!

Really appreciate that!

I have to say that u r sooooooo brilliant! I know it’s v tough since most of the ppl failed the final stage…AND it’s difficult to survive from the American interviewers( I heard they are much tougher than the British ones)…heehee

How can u handle the anxiety that tends to happen the night be4 assessment center…I just cant help feeling like that…god…probably I am taking it too serious…

Anyway,not to worry…

where have you applied? are you going school in london? LSE? IC? I was in england last semester, spent a lot of time in london as well. I like the city.

good luck with you interview. I wasnt nerious at all before my superday. I guess that's because I've hold the offer from ML at that time.

于 2005-03-23 07:18, xiaoheiiii 写:

于 2005-03-23 06:55, zocoo_zocoo 写:

i think it should be the other way round coz ppl with significant work experience in financial service industry will have strong advantage against those who don’t have. and this may increase your chance of getting selected in the first round interview

have a try and then u will know.

i sent 6, received two, one from ICI and another from GE. for my university has a programme with EY, i might can have another chance for 1 year’s placement there as well.

now i am in the final round, the assessment centre events for both ICI and GE^^

于 2005-03-25 04:37, seraph_liu 写:

i sent 6, received two, one from ICI and another from GE. for my university has a programme with EY, i might can have another chance for 1 year’s placement there as well.

what is ICI and GE?

于 2005-03-25 07:51, xiaoheiiii 写:

于 2005-03-25 04:37, seraph_liu 写:

what is ICI and GE?

not sure about ICI,but GE stands for General Electric…

于 2005-03-23 08:57, caocqmc 写:

Super! Super!

Really appreciate that!

Anyway,not to worry…

where have you applied? are you going school in london? LSE? IC? I was in england last semester, spent a lot of time in london as well. I like the city.

good luck with you interview. I wasnt nerious at all before my superday. I guess that’s because I’ve hold the offer from ML at that time.

I’ve been getting rejections recently after the assessment centers…I would rather they reject me straight away, which is less pain…

Feel a bit down…

于 2005-03-25 08:45, JennyMM 写:

Super! Super!

Really appreciate that!

Anyway,not to worry…

good luck with you interview. I wasnt nerious at all before my superday. I guess that’s because I’ve hold the offer from ML at that time.

I’ve been getting rejections recently after the assessment centers…I would rather they reject me straight away, which is less pain…

Feel a bit down…

which bank rejected u?

于 2005-03-25 08:45, JennyMM 写:

Super! Super!

Really appreciate that!

Anyway,not to worry…

Feel a bit down…

getting rejected isnt a big deal. one will never get all what he wants. it's their loss. forever faith is with you! Im sure you are an extremely intelligent young elite!