英國placement & internship & employment 經驗+咨詢

I got a placement last year for the duration of 12 months. The job is based in Royal Berkshire mainly in Windsor, Slough, Maidenhead and Royal Ascot. The placement opportunity was offered by First Transforming Travel, UK’s No1 bus operater and biggest train service provider. My title is marketing assistant but actually the personal assistant of the marketing manager. The work is nice, flexible and pretty regular although the salary is beneath my expectation.

Applying for a placement job is not that difficult as long as you are confident and has high standard of communication skills especially in speaking. You don’t have to be nervous whilst talking to the interviewer but when you have the chance to attend the interview, it means you have had a great chance to win.

CV and covering letter are vital, which will make a big difference when you apply for good jobs. Samples and rules are easy to get from the web. Significantly, great companies, no matter what your prospective post is, require a good looking and well performing CV and positive comments from your tutor.

Good luck to everybody and willing to help.

于 2005-03-10 21:21, Plato_fantasy 写:

外国学生想进这’big four’机会很小,而且难度也相当大的。

It doesn't have to be actually. I got another two fine opportunities last year, one of which is from Birmingham Chamber of Commerce and the other is from the National Express. But unfortunatelly I had already agreed to join the company i'm working for at present when i got their offers.

which university are u from?

what are your major sources which focus on economy&finance aspect for preparing the fomal interview?thanx

我发了差不多10份CV出去了都如同石沉大海连个水泡都没冒一下~~~~

于 2005-03-16 22:54, yuyu8210 写:

I was really lucky at that time, i sent 20 CVs and got 11 replies and 4 interview invitations.

于 2005-03-17 00:38, Geoffreyan 写:

于 2005-03-16 22:54, yuyu8210 写:

I was really lucky at that time, i sent 20 CVs and got 11 replies and 4 interview invitations.

I sent 30, get 5 interviews, have done 3, received 1 offer. going to attend the other 2 later.
if there is no interview for ur first 10 applications, u should start concerning about ur CV. If all ur applications r for the very top companies, u r supposed to be dispointed unless u r the very top man.

it seems like i have got a long way to go~~~but how can you find 30 companies to send CV? Would you mind talk with me by MSN? my address is [email protected] thanks!

I’m doing my placement year currently for UKAEA, but i’m from the technical side though. But last year when I applied IBM, they adviced me to join the finance interview instead of the technical interview,cos the competition for technical people was huge.

So I went to the finance & accounting(dont really remember the position’s name now) side interview in IBM, even my course is computer engineering.

The interviewer & staff told me there were over 3 thousands people applyed IBM finance &account side’s placement last year, and half of them were cut from the CV & covering letter section, then some of them were chosen from the rest for interview(can’t remember the number now)

then there were two interviews, need to pass both of them.

I went to the first interview, spent the whole day there, been tested almost everything, IQ,EQ,group work skill, personality, communication skill, two indival interviews…

Finally I passed the first interview, but I signed with my currently company first before I’ve been told by IBM that I passed the interview.

So the interviews are pretty different between different companies and the different subjects.

Generally speaking the bigger the companies are the more difficult interviews you’ll get.

And being honest, you are luck if your major is marketing & finacce & accounting…

if you have ever been to the computer aspect interview for the big company, you’ll realise what means tough I guess that’s cos the competition in computer world is horrible.

Being honest, thougth all the interviews I’ve been last the year, the easist one is the IBM’s finance & accounting & marketing interview, a lot easier than the computer interviews.

I guess I wrote too much now.

–END–

大哥们加小弟的MSN聊聊吧,最近为这个很是郁闷!!! 忘说了我是做finance的帮个忙谢谢了

[ 编辑者 yuyu8210 于日期 17Mar05 ]

于 2005-03-17 06:38, x_f_qi 写:

So I went to the finance & accounting(dont really remember the position’s name now) side interview in IBM, even my course is computer engineering.

The interviewer & staff told me there were over 3 thousands people applyed IBM finance &account side’s placement last year, and half of them were cut from the CV & covering letter section, then some of them were chosen from the rest for interview(can’t remember the number now)

I intended to apply for the IBM posts last year but was told that most of them were on the financial-technological basis and the posts could be anywhere in England, even in Scotland. Then i decided not to. The career officer suggested me apply for marketing posts only as i'm a marketing student. Anyway, competition is fierce everywhere.

Any one did internship in investment banks? i am not interested in any other industry at all

今天…哎

总之建议大家如果有offer或interview不要想就先口头答应下来.如果想decline,在签字的时候在决定也不晚,要不然…机会不等人或者在遇见一些稀里糊涂的人,好事情也会被搞砸…

请问姐姐怎样在HSBC工作呢???

Ill be taking an internship at GS NYC this summer. A friend of mine will be taking an internship at CSFB HK at the same time.

于 2005-03-20 11:12, caocqmc 写:

Ill be taking an internship at GS NYC this summer. A friend of mine will be taking an internship at CSFB HK at the same time.

GS

I applied for the summer intern there as well…still havent applied me yet…

Anyway, r u base in UK or the States?

谁去过HSBC的assessment center(selection day)啊。。。

I will be working at its headquarter in New York City. I applied its division in HK as well, but got rejected~ well, I guess I would apply for the transfer to HK (or Shanghai) upon my graduation from my college.

HSBC is not a white-shoe bank on the wall street. It’s too big, thus, it cannot be counted as extremely prestigious, nor can be Citi or UBS.

于 2005-03-21 13:12, caocqmc 写:

I will be working at its headquarter in New York City. I applied its division in HK as well, but got rejected~ well, I guess I would apply for the transfer to HK (or Shanghai) upon my graduation from my college.

HSBC is not a white-shoe bank on the wall street. It’s too big, thus, it cannot be counted as extremely prestigious, nor can be Citi or UBS.

what does it mean for the white-shoe bank.also give some advise on preparing cv&interview please?thanx

于 2005-03-21 13:12, caocqmc 写:

woaa!!! u'r wicked!!!
dun jst stamp out da shiny results la.. would u share some of ur exp with us ah? jst like ur edu.background and apply process etc.etc... this thread is intended to help ppl (or dummies like me) out there ma...