Quant jobs in London

Hallo, I am a master student of math of a University in Berlin. I have prepared myself during my study in berlin for a quantitative job such as quant. Unfortunately, in Germany there is no such position, so I think I may try my luck in London.
On the one hand I am familer with stochastic calculus via taking courses such as financial math, probability, one the other hand I am more interested into statistical learning during me taking some courses, such as machine learning, statistics and deep learning.
I am proficient in python and especially in numpy. I am also a beginner of c++ as I had accomplished some homeworks when I was learning scientific computing.
So is there a bias of the recruiter of the quant jobs against people from europa and how is the job overview of this career right now in London ?

I am grateful for your answers and further suggestions.

Get a PhD first before trying to apply to Quant jobs directly.
Otherwise, just apply for normal graduate jobs like everyone else and once in, try to work your way into quant jobs.

直接申请就是了。。。

无法想象德国没有such kind of Jobs。

另外,伦敦很多financial posts都要move to Frankfurt,不少英国人不愿意过去,德国的机应该会更多吧。

well maybe from 10 to 20 mostly pricing quant and risk quant is boring too.
As far as I know HFT is banned in germany, so …

Have a good understanding of “quant” again. Only less than 5% of quant are working in HFT, and it is not considered as a typical quant job. Over 80% of quant jobs are data modelling. If you find them boring, maybe consider another career path.

maybe you could be more specific about data modeling.

For pricing, as far as I understand, people use spe (wrt fractional Brownian motion) to do the prediction of the future price of a stock then its derivatives. If it is non linear, use deep learning.

As for the statistical learning part we can use previous data to predict the price of today. Here ml shall play a role.
So the p and q quant category.

英国这里还有一大堆数学博士发愁找工作呢。。。。

really, you mean pure math phd ?

有的是,有的是学统计的。更多的是工科专业的,比如机械工程,通信,力学啦,反正专业的数学背景都比较强的。

well statistic phd is also good for being a quant, the rest have a totally different kind of math background.
Their math is not the same as the math of a math master student. For example, engineers are not trained to do the proof, at least in Germany it is so.

不用proof啊,keep it simple stupid,能賺錢就是好的strategy。同學你想太多了。。。。

Sure, strategy is another thing. it matters only if it makes money. But my point is that the math is different between engineer and mathematician.
Well master of math is strictly speaking not a Mathematcian.

其實殘忍的事實就是quant jobs很少很少,想進的人很多很多。。on paper你比別人強嗎?
oxbridge長春藤數理工本科博士畢業只是最基本,有沒有發過幾份牛的paper或者nature?AI牛的paper現在也很能賣。還有最好有甚麼國際數學賽得過獎。有沒有做過quants的intern?我就知道有人alevel就有本事在hedge fund做quant intern了。。。
要是沒有特別outstanding的話,很有可能連interview的機會都沒有。。。。。
其實你也不用解釋當中的數學區別甚麼的,我相信很多人都明白的。
我自己認識不少quants,也知道他們下過甚麼苦工才能拿到position的。。。
我的看法是你用這種approach進得去的概率很低很低。。。。

actually I wish I could get a job as a quant, but the reality is just as crucial as you described.
And since I am not on the top of those proved smarted people you talked about, the leverage of mine is that I could write a master thesis towards a deep learning topic.
I take some lectures of ML since I found out that statistical arbitrage or ML based modelling is the future of quant jobs other than the traditional SDE approach.
I heard the rumor that the banks stop developing new derivatives so they may not need so much people do the pricing.
On the other side data drive modelling is more and more widely used since the breakthrough of deep learning.
But the paradox is that the stock price (or financial data) does not solely follow any known distribution, so here is another dead end.

So I do not know which kind of problem your quant friend may encounter during their jobs.

想做这个方向的化,你毕业后就直接申请就行了,很多都是靠命,机遇。没追你命好,没有申请上也没有啥损失。不过,说实话,就是份工作而已,你真的开始做了,也就觉得没啥高人一等的,就是个挖空心思想赚钱而已,对社会也没有啥更多的贡献,很多时候就是玩个零和游戏,和天天在赌场混的人可能也没有啥本质区别。

I am agree with u that we are all workforce of our employer. But for math student working as a data scientist in a compnay is way worse than working as a quant where you can use more math than usual.

And originally I study English literature so studying in Germany is actually not my first choice. So besides career path I will be more enjoyable if I live in and work in an English speaking country.

At least economically, Germany is better than England. And here people (for example math postgraduates) are more interested into engineering issues other than finance.

In this context even the payment is also not bad if you work in a bank in Frankfurt, but the Tech they use therefore is totally not state of the art, which i hate the most.